Monday, February 28, 2011

The Resurrection of the Two Day Old Bean Soup

A few days ago it was snowy and miserable and one of those days that are really lovely but I'd rather stay inside.  So to make it a productive day, I decided to make bean soup. 
 Normally I use our own dried beans from the garden - but we had been given a "Patriotic 14 bean soup combo" in a ziploc bag (proceeds to benefit veterans).  Wait go back,  I was actually trying to use up leftovers - ham and a hambone, so I was going for split pea, then lentil, then I saw the bag of 14 bean mix.  
So long story longer, I made this yummy soup - beans, garlic, carrots, celery, water, hambone over the woodstove most of the day.  Delicious.  Fast forward 2 days - I can't look at the soup any more.  But 'waste not want not' what to do with leftovers?

Mixed-Bean dip/hummus:
Beans from soup (veggies included) - use a slotted spoon
1 TBSP or two of tahini
splash of lime juice
fresh cilantro
salt

Mix all in cuisinart. Enjoy with tortilla chips and fresh veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment