Back to school time- wahoo! Grace is in 4th grade, Evan is in morning pre-K, and I start work again at BCS on September 13th. Hmmm, what does this mean for the CSA? Not much. Mostly it means my mom is going to be über busy and unsupervised for a few of the last pick up dates. I trust her, and I’ll be home a few hours before pick up time to finalize the veggies. Anyone that has time to kill and needs fresh air in September- please let me know- we could always use an extra set of hands.
I know it has been insanely hot this week - I actually googled “cold meals for hot days”. So this recipe is for this weekend when it’s rainy and brrrr cold!
Mashed Turnips and Carrots
1 pound carrots sliced
1 medium turnip, peeled and diced
¼ c butter, cubed
Salt and pepperMinced fresh parsley, optional
· Place carrots and turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
· Drain and mash. Add the butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield 4 servings.
Maple syrup or brown sugar would be yummy to add too!
Cilantro ‘Cold’ Slaw
*1 granny smith apple, julienned
* 1-2 colored peppers, cleaned and julienned
* ½ cabbage, julienned thin
* 2 yellow fresh corn tortillas julienned thin and fried/baked (optional)
* ½ bunch cilantro leaves, whole
* ½ c ranch dressing (or ¼ cup each sour cream & mayo)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* ¼ bunch of cilantro, chopped fine, stems and all
* ¼ c parmesan cheese
* 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
* 1 tsp cumin
* Juice of ½ lime
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix dressing in blender, pulse to blend.
2. Mix veggies in bowl, serve dressing over top as you plate slaw.
Inside your basket this week:
· Green Beans
· Summer Squash
· Candy Sweet Onion