Broccoli this week!
A Cliff Claven trivia fact – worms love broccoli. Although I performed an incredible extermination effort on the worms in the past few weeks - soak your broccoli bunches in salt water for about 20 minutes. If there is any extra protein in there – in the form of worms- they should float to the top. Rinse well, enjoy!
Roasted Beets and Sautéed Beet Greens
This is a great way to use every part of the fresh beets - you can get two delicious side dishes out of this one vegetable
* 1 bunch beets with greens
* 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons chopped onion (optional)
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C). Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens. Rinse greens, removing any large stems, and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan, and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.
2. Cover, and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet.
3. When the roasted beets are almost done, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and onion, and cook for a minute. Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces, and add them to the skillet. Cook and stir until greens are wilted and tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the greens as is, and the roasted beets sliced with either red-wine vinegar, or butter and salt and pepper.
Green Bean and Carrot Bundles
Ingredients per bundle:
· 5 large green beans
· one 4-inch carrot quartered lengthwise
· 1 broccoli leaf or swiss chard
· Olive oil
· Garlic salt/pepper
Lay broccoli leaf flat, brush with oil, lay green beans and carrot slices across leaf, widthwise. Brush with oil, salt and pepper. Roll bundle, wrapping the leaf around carrots and beans to make your bundle. Brush with oil again, add salt and pepper to taste. Microwave for about 3 minutes. Enjoy as a side dish to any meal!
Inside your basket this week:
· Mesclun Mix
· Green Beans
· Swiss Chard
· Handful of herbs