Eggplant is new this week! We are growing several varieties this year; they all have a unique look and taste. You will have to report back about your favorite!
Beatrice - Round, bright violet, 4x5-inch fruit, with a creamy, pudding-like interior flesh.
Orient Charm - Long cylindrical shape, distinctive fluorescent pink and pastel pink outer skin . with a white flesh, very few seeds, sweeter in flavor.
Green Apple - Pale green, round or oval shaped, mild flavor with white flesh.
Swallow - Dark purple or black, oblong shape, hearty taste with few seeds.
I know you all made garlic scape pesto and froze it, right? It’s time to pull it out and use it with your eggplant this week!
· Slice the following: 1 red onion, 1 zucchini, 1 eggplant, 1 red pepper, fresh mushrooms – or whatever veggies you have from your weekly share.
· Place veggies in Ziploc with 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Shake to coat.
· Sauté in grill pan or skillet until tender, about 10 minutes.
· Spread pesto on tortilla, add spoonful of goat cheese and top with veggies.
· Wrap tortilla and enjoy!
Try adding sliced avocado, a different type of cheese or cilantro pesto instead.
* 2 cup cilantro, packed - large stems removed
* 1/2 cup blanched almonds
* 1/4 cup chopped red onion
* 1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded serrano chile
* 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
* 1/4 cup olive oil
In a food processor, pulse ingrediants, slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream. Whatever you don't use, you can freeze, right? (YES)
* 2 pounds broccoli
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
* 4 T olive oil, divided
* ¾ t kosher salt
* ¼ t ground black pepper
* 1 t grated lemon zest
* 1 T lemon juice
* 2 T toasted pine nuts, or substitute
* ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 T fresh basil leaves (about 6 leaves)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Cut the broccoli into florets. Slice stalk into smaller cubes and include if you wish. You should have about 4 cups of florets. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 3 T olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.
Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 T olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.
Inside your basket this week:
· Mixed Greens
· Green/Purple Beans
· Swiss Chard
· Summer Squash
· Red Onion